Good Samaritan.
[This was a post from my tumblr account last Tuesday, March 8]
Last night, I feel like I did something rewarding and yet one of the things I can surely be proud of. I’m not sharing this story just to boast what I did, but I want to inspire people instead.
It was a stressful day of work. We were boiled to a 5-hour meeting to present us all the requirements we have to digest for the new project. It was exhausting yes, but of course it was part of what we do. What made me stressed out more is when my mom and my elder sister kept asking me to rush for they are about to fetch me somewhere in Ayala. I was like mumblin’ alone telling myself like ‘give me a break, i’m hungry… blah blah blah’. Then I ate my supposed to be lunch at our office’s pantry.
While I’m on my way out, I saw again the old woman (which was the one I always see somewhere in Dela Rosa street) asking people for money. Well, probably she doesn’t even look like a beggar, yet whenever I pass her by, I give her money if I have the chance to. But sometimes I feel sad whenever I see her and I can’t give her any.
And so I passed by to where she was, and I gave her 20 pesos. She was thankful enough for what I gave that she kept saying ‘salamat, salamat’. And so because I was stressed enough and I felt like I wanted to do something good before my day ends, I asked her if she ate already… she told me she haven’t. So I brought her to the nearest 7eleven to buy her food. That very moment that she’s saying thank you unlimited times to me, seeing that teary eyes, makes me wanna cry too — but I’m holding those tears back.
She’s sick. She have a heart problem, an arthritis and a high blood. I remember I asked her if she still have a family, she don’t. She’s living with a friend, but of course… wala ng libre sa panahon ngayon. She lives in Bangkal, somewhere near Pasay. Come to think of how far the distance is from Dela Rosa to Pasay, and I don’t even know how she got there. She told me that she was asking Velarde(?) for some amnesty to cure herself, to buy her medicines, and maybe to feed herself. I dunno, it was disturbing and it was the thing that struck me. She was saying like that man wanted her to process those to Batasan, so that PGH will give her the medicines she needed. (Like, the hell? She’s old and asking her to go to Batasan alone to do those is insane!) Afterwards, she did not eat the half of the food I bought her so she can still eat it when she’s home.
I shed a tear when we parted our ways. It was late in the evening yet she was still hoping that those people can help her. I’m sad and I feel like crying whenever I remember her. If only I have enough money to help her, and I am still thinking of many ways on how to do that. So, I told this story with a friend, and I’m glad that she’s willing to help too without me asking to.
It was a looooooooooong day and there is something I realized last night, thatwe should help others not because we HAVE to, but we are CAPABLE of doing so. I hope God will help her. My heart goes to all those elderly who is experiencing the same. Thanks to the old beggar, for I felt good before I go to sleep.

0 comments