Going Geek: The Fault in our Stars
"Without pain, we couldn't know joy."
What comes to your mind when you hear life? How about cancer? Death? I can't exactly put to words whatever I think about those, but after reading this book; John Green made it easy for me. Lucky we are for we have all the time we want, all the time to live freely in this world.
The Fault In Our Stars is about two people who found each other in spite of their being "side effects" of life. Hazel Grace Lancaster have a thyroid cancer; which at a normal day, she needs to carry an oxygen tank to be able to breathe properly. She still attends classes yet she needs to attend a support group for children with cancers so that they could accept whatever that could happen to them and still be able to go through with life. After several sessions, she met Augustus Waters, a guy who made a difference in her life. He surpassed an osteosarcoma, a typical type of bone cancer which made him lose his right leg. Hazel introduced Peter Van Houten to Augustus, which is her favorite writer. They both tried to go to Amsterdam to meet Van Houten, and while they are in the middle of a happy vacation, Augustus told Hazel that he was diagnosed with another sickness again.
Reading the book made me tear up several times than any other fiction book I have read. It has a touching story, a tragic one. But as tragic as it might be, but John Green gave justice to the book. He might be like Peter Van Houten, but I think he also wanted the readers to decide on how a certain story will end. Yes, it's fiction -- nothing happens to the characters by the end of the book; but it's up to us if we'll create little stories on what the ending should be. I never thought I would love this book. It made me wonder on how my funeral would look like, if how many people will give my eulogy, or whoever will do it best. Mostly on how I will look like. Funny how I thought about it, but yeah I really spared much time thinking about it. It has its own values we could learn, especially more about life. I became thankful enough that I am a normal person, that I sometimes stress with nonsense things, but not with how I can prolong my life. Though Hazel and Augustus have a little time to be together (I'm sorry I'm such a spoiler, you might have an idea with what I am saying right now), they both managed to made each other feel what they both needed. This book tells us to live life to the fullest, to be thankful on this life we have right now. We'll never know until when we can have this borrowed life, but it is always our choice to make the most out of it.
Augustus liked the choice he had to be with Hazel, and Hazel did too.
I'm thankful for the life I have right now, and I am loving who I chose too. This is a must read book.:)


0 comments