Movie Review: Four Sisters and A Wedding
I've been wanting to watch this movie badly even before it's showing date. Luckily, a quality time with my mother last night gave us reasons to watch it -- on a last full show! Haha! I'm still in a movie hangover, so allow me to write my thoughts on this movie, I'm no expert on reviews but I just need to spill my thoughts so I would stop talking about it.:))
The storyline was simple, yet it captivated my heart for it tackles one subject we'll all relate to: FAMILY. I never thought that a masterpiece could be divided equally to five of the big stars in the industry today. It was magically, magically created to simply portray that a family is never perfect; that a family is something you will always have even the world turned its back on you. Salazar family consists of a father who passed away already, their mother who was portrayed by Ms. Conie Reyes, and five siblings namely Teddie Salazar (Toni Gonzaga): who worked as a teacher in Spain but eventually became a maid and waitress due to a crisis that happened in the country, Bobbie Salazar (Bea Alonzo): who is a successful Communications Manager in New York, Alex Salazar (Angel Locsin): an assistant director of independent films in Manila, Gabbie Salazar (Shaina Magdayao): a teacher who lives under her mother's roof to take care of her, and CJ Salazar (Enchong Dee): the youngest of them. It started when CJ, announced that he is getting married to her four-month old girlfriend, which is a secret for you to go watch it so you would see who.:) Being protective of their younger brother, the four elder sisters made a connivance to find a way to stop the wedding... but upon doing so, their issues kept long with each other was faced again.
Toni Gonzaga of course, is my favorite of them all. Haha! I may sound biased here, but she made the film as heavy and as light as it is. With her battling on how to tell her family about what happened to her in Spain, and on what work she has now made it hard for her to tell the truth. That scene when Toni told everything she kept inside; envy, self disappointment, and high expectations gave that very spotlight to her. She was asking for her mom's forgiveness that she lied and wasn't able to reach what was expected from her -- It was flawless. I love how fashionable Toni Gonzaga is! Ahh, she could be the most stylish maid in Spain for wearing a beautiful shoes while serving her boss. Hahaha. She made the movie as funny as she is, delivering perfect lines together with her funny expression. As what I've seen since she started to be known as who she is, she can deliver well either drama or comedy; and that's what made the movie even special -- on how the characters made the viewers laugh and cry with them at the same time.
Bea Alonzo is Bea Alonzo. I believe that the character was far from what she's been doing eversince. Bobbie is the most successful of them all, leaving the others blaming her for always being right, for saying words that are hurtful and for forgetting to choose her family first before her work. That scene I mentioned with Toni, it was Bea's highlight too that was so relatable for me. It was when Bobbie broke down on what she envies with her siblings, that she's been the least favorite of her parents... on how she had no choice but to be strong to fight the sadness and homesickness she has while reaching who she is for the sake of the family's future. Those lines she said there made me tear up like there's no tomorrow! That amazing scene is I guess one of the highlights of the movie, only Bea Alonzo could give those feels.
Angel Locsin's character might be a quiet one, but the strongest of all. She's known as the black sheep of the family, for she does what she wants on order to be happy even if it's hurting others already. One conflict the movie has is that when Bobbie's ex-boyfriend became Alex's boyfriend after she went away for work. Forgiveness never came to Bobbie and Alex. It was when the charades happen when they started to allude each other while guessing for the answer. Of course screaming and shouting happened whenever they cross paths, but I guess it just hurts when a sibling/bestfriend becomes your own enemy... and how they patched things up was Angel's scene right there!
I am disappointed with Shaina Magdayao. Honestly, I can't find a scene where I'll remember her. Maybe her character was the least of all, giving her just normal lines and unremembered scenes in the movie. She was just delivering her lines as is, but no highlights or whatsoever.
Seriously, I'm surprised with how Enchong Dee portrayed his role. It could be intimidating to be with some of the big actresses today but he managed to level himself with the others. My favorite was when Toni Gonzaga tried to prove that Enchong's fiance have a dirty business, he madly confronted Toni then and when he knew that all of them were involved, he was furious and yet delivered his character perfectly.
Four Sisters and a Wedding is a must-watch film for the whole family. I watched it with my mom, and she told me afterwards that what happened in the movie is what a family will always and normally have. You can never blame that a child will feel less important than the other, leaving him/her questions to him/herself when it happens. It was a great family movie that will make you laugh and cry at the same time. I love it that Janus del Prado was there, his humor together with Toni Gonzaga's was epic. It will definitely leave you smiling and be appreciative more of your family after watching it. Great job, Star Cinema! Hope you'll continue to create more masterpieces like this. Happy 20th anniversary!


0 comments