Coron, Palawan [Part 1]

by - Saturday, February 22, 2014

This is a long due post, I know. Forgive me for a lot has happened the past few months that I wasn't able to write if I want to! As much delighted as I am when I visited Coron, I'm terribly devastated that it was one of the places that was hit by the super typhoon Yolanda. I wonder how the locals are doing now, and if the beautiful surroundings were hurt too.

I did not plan to have this trip, it was a blessing in disguise actually -- one that I needed the most. It was the "break" I wanted to have for such a long time; and I had it during my bum days. Thankfully, because of Chichi's failed purchase on one of the famous deal sites, instead of having the trip just for her and Teo, she may have overlooked that it needed 4 persons for the deal. Haha. So that is where I and their college friend jumps in! Coron is just purely majestic, definitely a place you'll always want to go back to.

We arrived at the lodging we stayed for days (I actually forgot the name sorry), it was nice and clean. It was comfy enough to stay and sleep into, but my only problem is -- the water current. Haha! I am such a water maniac, it is important to me that the restroom is clean and there's plenty water coming from the faucet or shower. Yet in this place, I feel like I am fighting over the water usage from the other customers and I hated that because it makes me move slower in the bathroom. Hahaha! Anywayyy, we rested for a bit and started our city tour in Coron.


Coron is really a not-developed place. I mean compared to other tourist spots, there is minimal night life and other commercial places. I like how it is, how simple their houses and how simple living there. It felt like home already, it's like there's peace everywhere. And the locals? Ahhh! I have never met people as kind as they were. We ate lunch at Centro Coron and went back there after our island hopping to buy some drinks. We needed ice for that so we asked them if how much it is and they insisted to give the ice FOR FREE. And it wasn't just few tube ice, it was plentiful plastic of tube ice. Gah, I was in awe and was too shy when they did that. Do you know what happened next? The owner was insisting his crew to give us buko pandan for dessert, FOR FREE again. Ahhh the list continued on our city tour.

Our first stop was the Coron Harvest, a place known for their cashew nuts! Upon arrival, we instantly got free taste of their newly toasted cashews. Haaa, it was a simple place and yet the owner always made people feel warm and welcome. We bought some for us to take home and to eat while we're there, and before we left they even gave us sweetened cashews for us to try. Huuuu. See how kind they are? I know we were just given free stuff, but no. I can't explain how but come and visit Coron and you'll definitely agree with me. We went to Lualhati Park next, it was drizzling that time but there's no stopping us from roaming around. It was a peaceful and a quiet place, overlooking their wonderful sea and mountains. I bet most couples go there to eat or talk.:)



And we weren't stopping there! We braved the 1400+ steps (back and forth) of Mt. Tapyas!! I am thankful that my legs were still strong enough to climb those stairs. Man, it was tiring but the view up there is so worth the climb. :) I'm just wondering why there's always a cross on climbs like this, we did this on Baler also and we went there for the view and a cross. Just wonderin'. It was definitely one of the best views I saw for the whole Coron could be seen there, but I don't know if I'm willing to go up there the next time. Haha!


That much anticipated climb needed a much deserved rest -- Maquinit Hot Spring!! My first time to try one, and yes, it's really hot! Hot spring nga eh! Hahaha. Seriously. It was a challenge to step into that, but after a while you'll get used to it's hotness. Hotness talaga! Kidding aside, the day tour won't be complete if you won't try the hot spring. :) We were blessed to have given bountiful of food to share with when we visited Maquinit. It was from Chichi's relative who is quite known in Coron! He gave us crabs, lots of crabs! That big fish that was so gooood, and chicken for dinner. We had so much crabs during our stay in Coron, and I guess I still have those fats until today.:))

...Coron adventure to be continued!


[UPDATE] Read the continuation of our Coron adventure here.

You May Also Like

0 comments