Movie Review: Perks of Being a Wallflower
For the first time in a long time, I'll be writing again about a movie! Yay to that. This time it's different because the movie is marked as my favorite book-turned-into-movie of all time! If you'll go back to my post about the book itself, I've been passionately telling you, my invisible readers how excited I am for the movie to come out. And that came days ago to which I finally watched last night!
I wanna cry on how good the movie is. SERIOUSLY. I am not even bluffing around here. Haha.
It is my first time to actually read a book first before watching it. Yes, even before Harry Potter, Twilight Saga and Hunger Games! Even if I own those books; I read Hunger Games trilogy after I watched the first movie, I have the Twilight Saga books but I never opened a single page, plus I don't have the Harry Potter books because when I was younger, HP's thick books gave me the thought of not being able to finish any of it -- given that it has 7 books to read and given my love-hate relationship with books before! Anyway, back to story. The excitement goes on knowing that I'll be seeing what I already read, also when Stephen Chbosky directed the movie himself! Ha. I've been reading good reviews about this movie, good reviews that will make you want to watch it more. So when my former colleagues asked me if I would like to join them to watch it, I didn't even think about what my answer would be. I immediately said yes! Then last night was purely amazing and beautiful.
My first thought after watching the movie is that, finally there's a movie that gave justice from the book it is based from. Usually if we are to watch a movie based on a book, our comments will be like: 'the book is still better', 'the story is far from the book', 'they changed a lot from the book', 'the movie is better than the book', and whatsoever reviews. But in Perks, you will never try to do that. I can't even weigh which is better. Stephen Chbosky did a great job writing the screenplay there, most especially having the perfect cast of characters; most especially with Charlie, Sam and Patrick! Knowing that Emma Watson is there is just a plus; she did a great job portraying the role of Sam. It is just refreshing to see her the first time being far from Hermione role in Harry Potter. Logan Lerman is amazing, he delivered Charlie very well! Seeing how shy and quiet Charlie is on the book is exactly what Logan did there. And ahh, Ezra Miller as Patrick is just the most brilliant thing that happened to the movie. He is the perfect person to do Patrick. Everytime he is there on the scene, he will get your attention but you won't forget what the movie tries to tell you. Ezra is superb, I can't even imagine anyone could play Patrick as good as what he did on the movie. Of course there are some parts of the book that was not shown on the movie. But even with that, the movie is still amazing. I love the part where Sam stood at the back of the pickup because she heard the tunnel song, she's amazingly beautiful as always. The part when the last 10 seconds of the last day of school came, and the group ran to catch the sunset. It is just soooooo good. Also when Patrick/Nothing made the "Nothing hates you" pose during their group pic after the graduation. The first homecoming dance, where Sam and Patrick did their "living room" routine, and Charlie joined them to dance awkwardly! The movie portrayed some scenes a little wholesome one, mostly the part where Sam and Charlie did the touchy things before Sam leaves for college,;where Charlie finally remembered that her favorite person Aunt Helen is doing that to him since he was a kid.
All in all, the movie portrayed what it has to portray. Stephen Chbosky made a masterpiece after a masterpiece. He wrote an amazing book and made an amazing movie. I seriously can watch it a million times and still love it. It is so beautiful that it made me tear up on the last scene, where Charlie finally felt infinite. When he fearlessly stood at the back of the pickup car just like what Sam did and just felt that moment. Haaaa. I can't get over how beautiful it is! And oh, have I mentioned already that I love it? Because I do. I love every split second of the movie. I love it, love it! Hai, thank God for people who do beautiful things like this. It made me so proud that I am now a book reader! Hahaha.
I recommend you guys to read the book and watch it. Believe me, you'll love it too.♥
To Mr. Chbosky, you have such a brilliant talent Sir! Congratulations on the book and on the movie. I am a fan of both! So please never stop sharing your talent to people.:)
Read and watch it guys!


0 comments