Caught in the Middle
Ever since I got a new job, travelling to my workplace became an easy task to do: less hassle, less travel time and more sleep time. The only problem I have is that there is no overpass near our building, so I have to walk back or ride another jeepney or FX to our office building. Until I saw an opening near our office building. Since then, I started fighting for my life, haha yes literally! I have to cross the highway so I could be in my workplace right away.
BUT, MMDA began to implement the anti-jaywalking policy all over Quezon City to prevent accidents most especially in busy areas like Commonwealth Avenue. I was never caught before because I thought that opening was made for people to cross it, UNTIL TODAY!! That's why I do it everyday without the fear of being caught but with the fear of losing my life. Yes it might kill me, but I still do it anyway so that I could be at my workplace earlier than expected (what a dumb reason for me to say that).
I will never ever forget this day. I feared crossing that road, but what I feared the most today is with those MMDA officers. So my story goes like this: I rode an FX to Hi-top, I crossed the road from there and when I stepped into the center island to prepare to cross again to the other side, I heard a wang-wang (the police-like sound whenever they caught someone, somewhere). An MMDA officer went down the mobile cab to tell me that I violated the anti-jaywalking ordinance and asked me to get inside the mobile or pay the 200-peso fine. I immediately said "eh namemera lang kayo jan", then the officer said that I must get inside, someone will talk to me. With all due respect, I went inside the mobile and there are like 3 more officers inside (one is not wearing a uniform) and other two in front including the driver. This guy without the uniform told me that they will accompany me to a seminar with regards to the violation and if I don't want that, I must pay the 200 fine. So I asked them where the seminar is, they answered that it is on Quezon Avenue, I immediately resisted that I am already late for work and my building is just in front of where the mobile is parked. And again, I said my ever respectful line, "namemera lang kayo eh!" Then one officer ordered the driver to drive! I felt like they're bringing me somewhere I don't know, it's like a kidnap scene earlier! Ahh. Imagine how much my heart is racing that time. I asked them where are they bringing me, and I immediately threw them my 200 pesos and hurriedly went down the mobile.
It still feels scary until now. Yes, I do know I violated something; but MMDA officers are sometimes unreasonable. They could have talked to me in a nice way and with the scenario playing in my head over and over, it feels like they only want that 200 pesos. If you would read the article from the link above, it said: "Tolentino said only the “men-in-red” are authorized to arrest jaywalkers and issue the PVRs." So why the hell MMDA officers are the ones to arrested me? Another question is why did they not issue anything to me? Am I being unreasonable here? I just don't understand some parts of this ordinance. I do understand that it is MMDA who implemented this, so why they would tell that the "men-in-red" are the ones who are allowed to arrest jaywalkers. Forgive me but I only knew these now despite of my knowledge in that ordinance. I may be wrong but why do they treat people like that? With the CyberCrime Law implemented in this country, would I be sued for telling what's real?
Wake up, Philippines. What if someone who can't defend himself was in my place earlier? Imagine what can they do. I am just thankful to Him that I wasn't hurt or anything. I will never cross or jaywalk again, I promise. Beware guys, only the "men-in-red" are allowed to arrest the jaywalkers. Those abusive officers are just after your money! God bless them.

0 comments